I have a new layout up over at Kerri Bradford Studio today. I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do for my layout this month. Then, about a week ago, I saw Kerri share a photo on Instagram (seen HERE) of these 4" foam alphas that she designed for a kit-of-the-month years and years ago.
She mentioned that she felt like she should pull them out and use them, and that some things never go out of style. And she's right. Those alphas are still amazing, years later. And I still happen to have two sets of them, so I thought it would be fun to incorporate them into my next layout for her.
I love a big and bold title, but I knew that I'd have to keep it fairly short, since the 4" letters did fill up the page more than I thought once I laid a few letters out. I've had these old photos of Sarah in mind for a layout for at least the past year.
I knew some sort of "game face" title would work great, so I pulled out the foam letters to spell out "game" to get the page started. I collaged my photos together using a template from Kerri's Storyboard #8 kit, and sized the collage to fit below my title.
I had originally printed my photos in color (lots of burgundy, and a few shades of blue), but just wasn't feeling the color combo choices. So I went back and printed them in black and white, which gave me the freedom to use whatever colors I wanted to use.
My first instinct, for whatever reason, was to turn to my patterned papers from Amy Tangerine's Plus One collection. The bright pink, aqua, and yellow called out to me, and then I added in the black and white diagonal striped paper as well (not completely sure if it's from the same collection or not). I had scraps of all of these papers, since I've used them before. And the nice thing about die cutting, and also the way I tend to pull my pages together, is that I can make scraps go a long way!
I've said this before, probably more than once, but I love a good chunky font mixed with a cursive font for my titles. So the foam letters were perfect to mix with a few of Kerri's handwritten and brush script words.
I cut the word "face" from Kerri's Oh Baby kit, keeping it on the smaller side, so that I could layer it right over my foam letters. I also cut the word "hilarious" from Kerri's Something To Say #2 kit, because I do in fact think that Sarah's "game face" (or faces) is pretty hilarious.
I went looking for something else to die cut for this page, with the intention of adding a border of some sort or some stars. I came across this star cluster from Kerri's Stars & Stripes kit, which fit both of those ideas. I sized it to almost 12" in length, and tucked it under the striped patterned paper to turn it into a border.
The thin yellow strip of patterned paper on the right side of the page was embossed and spritzed with black misting spray from a previous layout I had made. So I ran the yellow bottom layer of the star die cut thru the same dotted embossing folder, and spritzed it with black misting spray before adhering the black piece on top.
I decided to print my journaling on a full 12" strip of white cardstock, so that I could adhere it along the left side of the page. I didn't have any regular old cardstock that was 12" wide, so I had to use textured cardstock. Which I love way more than non-textured. But it did make the journaling look a little weird in a few places. Not a huge deal to me. But if you're trying to read it, and you feel like you need to put your glasses on to make it clear, just know that it's not you ;)