Hey everyone! I've got a new layout up on the Jillibean Soup blog today. I didn't intentionally set out to scrap this photo of Joe and I, taken last fall as we headed out to a wedding. But as I was shuffling through the collections, looking for patterned papers that I might want to use, the Flashy Tint paper from the Shades of Color collection grabbed my eye, and I immediately thought about this photo.
The Flashy Tint patterned paper is on the left side of the page, and the other half of that paper has the same pattern, but in red, orange, and yellow. I knew that if I cut the paper in half, the green, aqua, and gray side would match my photo perfectly.
I then added in some yellow patterned paper to the other half of the layout, using a paper from the 2 Cool For School collection, to tie in with the yellow cardigan I was wearing.
I wanted to add a larger embellishment/accent in the center of the page, to cover up the spot on the patterned paper where all three colors meet. I found a Jillibean Soup heart cut file in their Silhouette store and die cut it in a variety of sizes. I die cut them from white cardstock first - mainly because I was die cutting my title and all of the stars from white cardstock, so it was easy to just add the hearts on there as well.
This ended up being an easy way to figure out the placement of the hearts, before I die cut them from patterned paper. Once I had the white cardstock hearts arranged to my liking, I picked out coordinating patterned papers to die cut several of the hearts from, keeping in mind where they were placed on the page.
The "cheers" die cut is also a Jillibean Soup cut file. It actually says "cheers to the new year", but I only needed the word "cheer". It also came with all of the stars, which were sprinkled above the title, so I used those as well. I added a few adhesive sequins to the centers of the larger stars for some simple embellishing.
Since I had the white cardstock hearts, as well as the hearts cut from patterned paper, I decided to layer them together. I offset them slightly, to create a shadow effect, and machine stitched down the center of each heart before adhering them in place.
And a little sad story about the making of this layout. I had machine stitched all of my hearts, and was halfway into adding the zig zag stitching down the sides of the black cardstock in the center of the layout, when my sewing machine stopped working. I'm not super knowledgeable about my machine, but did what I could to try and figure it out. I finally called my mom and asked if she could swing by and look at it (good thing she's only a few blocks away). And she called it. Time of death, Sunday, May 20th, 2018 :(
I'm pretty sure I had that sewing machine for a good 10 years or so, and seeing as how it cost me less than $100 that long ago, it served me well. There's no use trying to get something like that fixed, since you can buy a new one for next to nothing. Well, not exactly. But I did get a new one, super similar to what I had, for under $90 at Target. So I'm back in business with my machine stitching. Which is a good thing, because I think it adds so much to layouts and cards.