As promised, I'm back today to share the layout that I created for a try at the cover of the spring issue of Scrapbook & Cards Today. If you haven't yet checked it out, you can download/view it HERE. The editors ask three designers to each work on a layout option for the cover, so we are each sent the same photo, title, and journaling. From there, it's all up to us where we go from there.
Isn't it the most adorable photo, of the most adorable little girl? That little girl, Emily, belongs to the talented Maggie Holmes, who is an amazing photograph (along with scrapbooker and product designer). I usually let the photos determine my color choices, and that's exactly what I did here. I knew I wanted greens and yellows, and a touch of navy blue to go with Emily's denim jacket. I also wanted to mix in a touch of brown and cream, a I saw more cream in her headband, even though I think it was a very light pink.
I had some small amounts of this cream text patterned paper and the brown woodgrain patterned paper, both from Maggie's Open Book collection, and thought they would make for a good background. I cut a circle background from the text paper using my Cameo and adhered it to white cardstock, before adhering that to the brown woodgrain patterned paper.
I thought this fun "sunshine" title that I found in my Silhouette library was really cute. I cut it from a green grid patterned paper from Simple Stories and also from the brown woodgrain patterned paper, and then layered them together. I used some navy blue alpha stickers from Jillibean Soup to complete my title.
I wanted to incorporate some lemons into the page design, as there were lemons in the background of the photo and lemons were also a part of the journaling. I came across this mason jar, also in my Silhouette library, and thought it was perfect for "holding" some lemons.
I had every intention of die cutting some lemons, but I came across a patterned paper from the Dear Lizzy Serendipity collection that had these cute little lemons and figured I would fussy cut them out to use. I lightly wadded them up, to give them a bit of texture, before adhering them and then added a few yellow enamel dots to each lemon.